Today I am guest blogging at the Cravings of a Lunatic blog. Kim is a barefoot cook who hates eggs, tomatoes and mac n cheese and if different foods touch on her plate, she throws a hissy fit. Did you notice the name of her blog? All this plus plenty more makes her one very entertaining woman and she sure can cook. Look at the side bar on her blog and those photos of mouthwatering food will knock your socks off. Two which make me want to reach right in and grab them are her Pistachio Chocolate Frozen Mousse and her Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios.
Anyway I blogged about the Pesto, Mozzarella Polenta Appetizers in the photo above. The recipe is below and also on her blog but if you want to hear about the day I lifted a mighty heavy stove right off my tiny son with one hand, you will have to go visit her over there. And you won’t regret it because she has great recipes and stories that make you smile.
- Homemade pesto using garlic-infused oil instead of garlic cloves
- 1 big slice of ham
- Several small bocconcini mozzarella balls
- 2 tomatoes
- 500ml water
- Boil the water and very slowly, mixing all the time, pour in polenta until it thickens, and stirring becomes tough. Then stop and let it cook until it is smooth to the taste. Instant polenta will be quicker than the classic polenta.
- Remove and immediately pour onto a big chopping board.
- Smooth it out as much as possible to an even thickness – about ¾ inch/2cm.
- Using a small glass, cut out rounds and oil them lightly.
- Put them onto a hot grill and leave until grill marks appear. You can do both sides but one is enough.
- With grilled sides facing up, slather on a little pesto and top with a small piece of ham, a ¼ of a slice of tomato and ½ a tiny bocconcini mozzarella.
- Place under the grill for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.