It’s New Year’s Eve and the young ones are off out doing what all young people should do and that is celebrate the coming in of the New Year. I guess Adriano and I have seen too many of them because this year for the first time we are staying at home. But we did pop a bottle of expensive French champagne and I made nibbles to go with it. I am getting used to cooking for Adriano and Dario and then separating out the grain for me but these I made grain-free so I didn’t have to worry.
When I was slurring my words ever so slightly, I cooked dinner with every intention of photographing it, but then I couldn’t be bothered and we ate it and now it’s too late so all you get tonight are the appetizers.
If you malabsorb lactose, make sure you use lactose-free milk and cream cheese.
But first a photo of the young ones in our garden before they departed this evening, then the recipe.
Dario and Alex (on the left) and their friends
- Two fat courgettes
- 150g cream cheese
- 100g smoked salmon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp wasabi
- 2 tbsp milk or coconut milk
- Salt & pepper
- Slice the courgettes into thin rounds and lay out on a large plate
- Place a small slice of salmon on each one.
- Sprinkle with some chopped chives
- Place the cream cheese, most of the lemon zest, the wasabi, milk, a pinch of salt and a grinding of pepper in a small food processor and process until smooth.
- Pipe onto the salmon.
- Sprinkle with more chives and the rest of the lemon zest.