All week I think about my weekend baking – in a good way. I don’t obsess, I just wonder what I will bake. So, as I visit my favourite food blogs, I keep an eye out for something that jumps off the page. It could be special ingredients like yesterday’s White Bean Cookie Cake, or beautiful photos like for today’s recipe which I found on the Butter Cream Blondie blog. It makes me wonder how I will photograph the dish and whether it will be appropriate for the family. These blueberry oatmeal cream cookies are not quite as healthy as the granola bars I have been making lately but they do have blueberries and lots of rolled oats so can’t be all bad. That mascarpone filling introduces an Italian element but more importantly a touch of decadence. Blend healthy and decadence and you have the perfect combination for work morning teas – something to look forward to each day.
Recipe: Blueberry Oatmeal Cream Cookies
- 4 ounces/113gm unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 8 ounces/ 113gm mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 tblps light brown sugar
- Cream butter and sugars till light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix in oats.
- Gently mix in blueberries. Be careful not to break them up!
- Wrap cookie dough in plastic wrap & refrigerate a few hours – over night.
- Scoop cookies, I use a scoop that measures 1/2 ounce portions, and bake at 325 degrees for 13-15 minutes rotating once halfway through.
- Let mascarpone sit out for a few minutes so if softens(just enough so you can stir it)
- Stir in vanilla bean paste and light brown sugar.
- Fill cookies with mascarpone filling and refrigerate.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)