You will have seen the photo story of lasagna making I photographed in Italy and now I have made my own quick version. There is no comparison but we working mothers and wives have to find shortcuts or we would have to wag work in order to make the original versions of these time-honoured recipes. It was such a pleasure to watch the making of the pasta sheets from scratch but I used wonton wrappers. It was the first time I had used them and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy they are to handle. They separate easily and don’t rip. I will be using them again for all sorts of things.
I decided to make this a chicken lasagna to shake it up a little and also to not seem to be imitating the lasagna that Laura made in Italy. I really loved the fact that these lasagnas popped out of their containers without hassle. That made them easy to eat. See the copper dish containing the lasagna in the photo and the two copper containers behind it? I bought them all in flea market in Italy for such a ridiculously low price. I love them big time. The ends of the wontons are a little burnt but that’s my whacky oven. I now keep an oven tray below the tray I cook my food on and that seems to stop them getting burnt on the bottom but I still have the tops to worry about. I have to keep remembering to put tin foil on part way through.
Recipe: Mini Chicken Lasagnas
- 500g chicken, chopped small
- 1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- ½ onion
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- small handful of coriander
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups grated cheese (7 oz)
- Coriander for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray soufflé dishes or small pans with cooking spray.
- Brown onion and garlic, then add the chicken and cook until it is cooked through.
- Add the can of tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook fast until the liquid has reduced.
- To make the white sauce, in a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Blend the flour into the melted butter.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until it creates a mass.
- Slowly add 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking slowly until smooth and thickened.
- Add 1 cup of cheese and heat until it is melted.
- Lay 4 wonton wrappers into the base of the baking dishes, overlapping a little and with the edges a little higher than the dish edges.
- Add a layer of the chicken mixture.
- Add one wonton wrapper over the top and then spread a layer of white sauce on top.
- Add one last wonton wrapper over the sauce and spoon the rest of the chicken on top.
- Finish with the last of the white sauce and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- If you like, you can remove the lasagnas from their dishes by using a knife to loosen the edges then pop each lasagna out.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)