I am making a concerted effort to eat a little healthier and consume less calories, most of the time anyway, and so I have been seeking out recipes that come part way towards being low calorie and on the healthy side. This banana loaf has not got any added oil or butter so I thought it was a good place to start. My only worry was that it seemed a little boring so I have added blueberries and shredded coconut. I did think long and hard about adding white or dark chocolate but resisted the urge.I couldn’t find any very ripe bananas so I microwaved some in 30 second bursts until they were soft. This sweetens them and they resemble overripe ones.
I found this recipe at Cook Republic. I made a quarter more of the recipe to make it fit into my loaf tin and that quantity should keep us going for a while but my Saturday baking never lasts too long and I am one of its major consumers.
Recipe: Banana, Coconut and Blueberry Loaf
- 185ml full cream coconut milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- Blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- raw sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease with butter and line with baking paper, a 20cm x 10cm loaf pan.
- Whisk coconut milk, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, salt and honey in a large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy and combined.
- Stir through the banana, oats, coconut and flour until thoroughly mixed. Stir in blueberries to distribute evenly.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the top with raw sugar.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 1 hour until well risen, golden on top and cooked through.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12[/print_this]