The air is certainly a little chillier than a week ago and our winter clothes are reappearing after a brief sojourn in the back cupboard – all too brief this year. But we can always lift our spirits with the right food for our mood. And tonight we had a wonderful soup of a tomato base with fusilli pasta and the best sausages I could find. I have a young butcher right opposite where I work in Remuera and he makes all his own sausages in house. I chose those made with Savannah Angus beef and they were perfect for this dish.
You will notice that I often don’t give exact quantities of the ingredients because I imagine you can all cook and can make your own decisions about how much of each ingredient you want. This is not like baking where quantities are important for the success of your dish.
- Gluten-free fusilli pasta
- Olive Oil
- Onion & garlic-free Sausages - sliced
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- About 2 tbsp tomato paste
- A can of diced tomatoes
- Chicken stock (homemade)
- Fresh basil - shredded
- Mozzarella - grated
- Parmesan - grated
- Boil the fusilli as usual.
- Cook sausages in olive oil until brown.
- Add the herbs and tomato paste. Cook a little longer.
- Add diced tomatoes and stock for about 20 minutes.
- Mix with pasta and serve in bowls.
- Meanwhile mix the three cheeses together and put a dollop in the middle of each bowl and sprinkle chopped basil on top.