Another one of Jamie’s 30-Minute Meals – a fairly simple one because I have been making risottos for years without blinking. He adds a lot more herbs than the usual Italian risotto but otherwise it’s pretty accurate. I also made the accompanying spinach salad which I didn’t photograph because it wasn’t particularly photogenic. It was spinach, pine nuts, mint and sundried tomatoes – a good foil to the risotto. This meal also included a quick cheesecake in a glass but, as usual, I didn’t make the dessert. The risotto and salad took about 40 minutes altogether. I was able to prepare the salad while adding water to the rice so it was time efficient.
Recipe: Oozy Mushroom Risotto
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 large onion
- 15g dried porcini mushrooms BUY HERE
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 chicken or vegie stock cube BUY HERE
- 300g of arborio rice BUY HERE
- ½ glass of white wine
- 500g of mixed fresh mushrooms
- fresh thyme
- 1 clove of garlic
- 40g Parmesan cheese BUY HERE
- A large knob of butter
- ½ a lemon
- A handful of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion, celery and dried porcini in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Drizzle some olive oil into a saucepan and add the mixture. Stir while it cooks.
- Finely chop the rosemary leaves and add to the pan with the rice.
- Stir 1 minute and add the wine and stock cube. Stir until the wine has been absorbed.
- Season and add a mug of boiling water. Stir until it has been absorbed.
- Add more water and stir until absorbed and continue for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the mushrooms and tear up half into the risotto and the other half into a frying pan with some olive oil. Season. Crush over the garlic. Pick some of the leaves from the thyme into the pan. Stir and remove from the heat.
- Add more thyme leaves to the risotto.
- Stir the butter into the risotto. Grate some of the Parmesan over the top.
- Add a squeeze of lemon. Check the seasoning.
- Chop the parsley and sprinkle ½ over the risotto and ½ over the mushrooms.
- Serve the risotto with some of the mushrooms over the top. Grate over some more Parmesan.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4