I am back on board again after such a great holiday with family and visiting family in Italy. But all good things come to an end and far too quickly. Not that my every day life is to be sniffed at. I have an enjoyable job with good bosses, a wonderful husband and son and I get to blog in my spare time about food. What can beat that?
Last night, I felt a need for healthy and nutritious, so salmon (all that omega 3 stuff) and spinach (made Popeye strong) were employed along with some great crispy potatoes. There’s probably a little too much oil to be on a slimmer’s menu but it tasted great and the scales didn’t complain afterwards. Most of the preparation was at the same time as the cooking so all in all, it probably took about 30 minutes to make.
Recipe: Roasted Salmon and Crispy Potatoes
- 700gm floury potatoes, sliced 1cm
- 4 x 150gm pieces of salmon
- Knob of butter
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine the last 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Drain well and place on a large baking tray.
- Add three quarters of the oil mixture and gently turn to coat.
- Arrange slightly overlapping on the tray and roast for 10 minutes.
- Turn the potatoes over and roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Brush the salmon with the remaining oil mixture and place on a separate oven tray and roast for 6-8 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the almonds and cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden.
- add the spinach and turn until just wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes and spinach on the plates and top with the salmon.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4