This weekend I only baked one item – this glorious Strawberry Potato Cake. And to think that it is gluten-free and low FODMAP. Though, as always, the low FODMAPPERS out there, please only have a small piece at a time. You don’t want to accumulate too much fructose.
Last night I went to a delightful cocktail party with all sorts of small delicacies and I kept asking the waitresses what was in each item – to no avail. They didn’t have a clue. So I ate judiciously, using my eyes as a guide and I did surprisingly well. No real problems. I still have to look through all the photos I took to see if there are any worth showing you. I hope so because those kinds of foods are my favourite kind. in fact, I dined on them and had no dinner when I went home.
At a certain point in the evening, I had a lady bound up to me energetically and introduce herself. She started chatting away to me like I was supposed to know her and, through the conversation, she told me that her grandson was on a low FODMAP diet and I almost fell over. There are still so few people who know about the wonders of this eating regime for irritable bowel syndrome. I never meet anyone in person who has any idea what I am talking about if I mention it. This lady spoke about it as if it was the most common thing in life and then she bounded away to someone else. I still have no idea who she was.
On another note, work is stressful to the max because I have a super stressed out boss who is working too hard. But there is method to our madness. We have hit and passed our goals and so we go home this weekend and don’t return to work until 13th January. Yes, that’s a bit over a month off work. Hard to believe. And I so need it. I am sure my headaches and neck problems will fall right away into the dust of bad memories. Though I guess that will make it really hard to go back in January. However, I am not going to dwell on that right now. I have four more days and then freedom!!
STRAWBERRY POTATO CAKE
For the cake
200gms/7oz softened butter
150gms/5.5oz caster sugar
110gms/3.9oz white rice flour BUY HERE
29gms/1oz potato starch BUY HERE
30gms/1oz tapioca flour BUY HERE
250gms/8.8oz mashed potato
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder BUY HERE
For the Syrup:
1 tbsp caster sugar
8 big strawberries
1 tbsp water
For the topping:
200gms/7oz cream cheese
200gms/7oz cottage cheese
1 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp strawberry syrup
For the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Butter and line a 20cm cake tin.
3. Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time while still beating.
4. Sift the flours and baking powder together and add to the wet ingredients.
5. Add the mashed potato and chopped strawberries and mix through.
6. Pour into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
7. Cool a little then tip out onto a wire rack.
8. Pour the syrup slowly over the warm cake and rub into the top.
9. Cool completely before piling the topping on.
For the syrup
1. Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until a thin puree is formed. Reserve 2 tbsp for the topping.
For the topping
1. Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until a thick cream is formed.