My search for great grain, dairy and refined sugar-free sweets continues. The ingredients for such creations are often similar with some variations. They need a base of nuts to create something solid, then some oil, usually coconut for moisture and something sticky to keep it all together like a nut butter. The toppings or frostings involve bananas or whipped coconut cream for bulk with various flavourings like chocolate, almond, mint or vanilla – as in this case. The sweeteners can be either pureed dates, honey or stevia.
Now let’s get to today’s offering – a chocolate tart with vanilla banana topping.
This is not a low Fodmap recipe.
- 1.5 cups roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 cup date puree
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 120g sugar-free chocolate
- 1 banana
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Shredded coconut or extra cashew nuts
- Place all the base ingredients in a food processor and process well but some small pieces of the cashews can remain.
- Oil a round tart or cake tin.
- Place the tart base mixture in it and press down firmly.
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave. Cool a little.
- Place it together with all the other topping ingredients in the food processor and blend well until smooth.
- Pour the topping over the base and sprinkle with coconut or extra chopped cashew nuts.
- Place in the fridge until set.