I know that many of you on the low Fodmap diet agonize over making the perfect gluten-free pastry recipe which is suitable for the diet. Well, I have one for you today, which works every time, for a sweet or savoury recipe. Watch my video for the recipe.
This is a classic Greek recipe but it is, of course, tweaked for the low Fodmap diet. It’s easy to put together and so delicious to eat. And yes, it is from my little green book. What shall I do when I have finished all the recipes? Cry, I suspect. It has been fun visiting the past.
- 500gms/17.6oz mince meat
- 2 spring onions (green part only) chopped up
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 eggplant, cut into rounds
- 1 cup grated mature cheese
- ½ cup lactose-free Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
- Heat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Fry the spring onion in a little oil for 1 minute.
- Add the mince and herbs.
- Cook until browned.
- Add the tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Oil a casserole dish.
- Spread a layer of meat sauce first, then an eggplant layer.
- Scatter some cheese over the eggplant.
- Repeat the layers ending with the meat sauce.
- Mix the last 3 ingredients and season.
- Pour over the dish and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot straight from the casserole.