I have a mission to create small portions so I can’t overeat. The two dishes in the photo were for me and Dario. I made a massive one for Adriano and he ate it all without blinking. I thought there would be enough saltiness in the bacon so added only a wee bit extra salt to the egg mixture. Adriano thought it needed more but I didn’t, so tread carefully with the seasoning.
This really is nothing more than a fancy omelet wrapped in bacon, but it looks better like this in dishes rather than slopped on a plate. And the most important thing was that once I had finished mine, there was no more to eat. I guess this dish is gluten-free too. I had planned to serve it with a loaf of crusty bread but it got all eaten before dinner so I made some potatoes and a mixed salad. There are lots of vegetables in this dish so the salad is not strictly necessary but I get withdrawal symptoms if I don’t eat some kind of salad in the evening. By the way, it was very quick to prepare and then cooked in the oven while I made everything else.
- 12 rashers of rindless bacon
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 12 spring onion, chopped (green part only)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/350°F.
- Line 4 small dishes with bacon.
- Combine the vegetables in a bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into the 4 dishes.
- Beat the eggs and season.
- Pour over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the egg is set and the cheese browned.