Adriano had to eat early and go out so he cooked for himself and I allowed myself to indulge a little in my favourite things – smoked salmon, avocado and capers. Avocado is on the list of high FODMAP foods, being a polyol (the P in FODMAPs) so this was a test. And I passed with flying colours. No reaction at all. I have been too scared to test any other foods since the garlic debacle but today I took my courage in both hands and fortunately it went well. To finish off the dish I made some tapioca bread rolls I have made before as the base.
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 avocado
- Small pot of sour cream
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Several slices of smoked salmon
- Sour cream
- Smoked salmon slices
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Pour the water and oil into a saucepan, add the salt and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the tapioca flour, mixing rapidly to combine everything well.
- Allow to cool a little.
- Add the beaten egg and cumin and beat well to mix in.
- Add the coconut flour and mix in.
- Knead until it forms a ball.
- Break into 4 and flatten into patties.
- Place on baking paper on an oven tray and bake for 15 minutes, turning halfway.
- Mash the avocado and mix all the ingredients together.
- Place the rolls on a plate and spread a thick layer of avocado on each one.
- Top with several slices of salmon, a dollop of sour cream and scatter over some capers.
One of the recipes from my cookbook, Afternoon Tea, has been featured on the Italian food blog, Oggi pane e salame, domani. It is written in both Italian and English if you want to pop over and have a look. The recipe is here.
And here is an update photo of Dario’s tobacco with him and Alex posing reluctantly in front of it. Apparently a real photographer only needs to take one photograph and it will be perfect. And in my case that had better be the case because my subjects ran away after after one click.