If you are in need of a little spice in your life, cook these patties for dinner tomorrow night. As soon as I saw them on the Flavors of Mumbai blog, I knew I had to cook them. They are a nice surprise for the family if they don’t see you preparing them because when they cut into what seems like a potato patties, they will find this delicious spicy pea mixture inside.
Recipe: Spicy Potato & Pea Patties
- 2 tbsp oil for shallow frying + 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 carrot chopped finely
- 10 to 12 cashew nuts chopped quite finely
- 1.5 tbsp flour
- 6 potatoes medium sized
- 1 cup boiled green peas
- 2 green chillies chopped finely
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tomato chopped finely
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- Breadcrumbs for coating the chops
- Firstly boil potatoes and green peas until tender.
- Peel off the potato skin and mash them.
- Add the flour and season. Mix together.
- Add butter and oil to a big frying pan.
- Once oil is hot add cumin seed and cashew nuts.
- Once it starts crackling, add chopped onion and green chillies.
- Saute until slightly brown in colour.
- Now chop up the ginger and garlic finely in a mini-processor.
- Add to the pan and stir for 1 minute.
- Add chopped carrots and tomatoes. Saute for 3 to 4 mins.
- Add garam masala and turmeric powder. Mix together.
- Add the boiled green peas and salt. Cook until the mixture is dry.
- Rub some oil on your hands. Make 8 equal sized balls. Flatten each ball.
- Scoop 1 tbsp filling of peas mixture into the middle of each one.
- Bring the edges to the centre to cover up the filling.
- Make into round patties.
- Coat the patties with breadcrumbs.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to a frying pan and heat. Add the patties and cook until golden. Fry a few at one time and keep them warm in the oven.
- Serve hot with a homemade tomato sauce.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 + 10 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4[/print_this]