I have been determined to make a gluten-free sponge cake and I thought this recipe might be it but it wasn’t. Adriano is really enjoying it for breakfast but he prefers a dense cake and this one was that. It looks tall and pretty and it is disappearing really fast but it isn’t a sponge. I got the recipe at www.lowfodmap.com.
This week hasn’t been great for me. I tried introducing garlic to my diet and I haven’t been feeling the best since but there could be any of a number of factors affecting that, so I will go back on a pure FODMAP diet for a bit longer and then try again.
A little cream is low Fodmap but if possible find lactose-free cream.
- 8 eggs
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups of my gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 80gms/2.8oz melted butter
- 2 tbsp sugarless strawberry jam
- Whipped cream
- 1.5 cups icing sugar
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp butter
- ⅓ cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 180°/350°F.
- Line 2 x 20cm/8 inch round tins with baking paper.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together for 10 minutes until thick.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into the egg mixture.
- Add the melted butter and fold it in.
- Pour half into each of the tins.
- Bake for 15 minutes until cooked.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and cool on wire racks.
- Spread the jam on one side of the cake and pile the whipped cream on top.
- Place the other side on top.
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and melt.
- Cool a little and spread over the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with coconut.