I have been corresponding with a dietician, Clarice Hebblethwaite, who champions the low Fodmap diet and she has given me some interesting advice on healing the gut while on the diet.
- Take digestive bitters, ½ lemon juice or 1 dessertspoon apple cider vinegar in a little water before meals to increase acid levels in the stomach.
- Consider including daily fermented/cultured foods. These are foods which healthy bacteria or yeasts feed on. So all the fermenting and production of gas happens over a few days/ weeks and most importantly not in your body! So these foods are no longer fermentable or FODMAP rich. The resulting food is very rich in probiotic bacteria and yeasts which keep your digestive tract and immune system in good health. Examples of fermented/cultured foods are unpasteurised sauerkraut, Kimchi, Kefir or Kombucha drinks, probiotic rich yoghurt.
- For many with anxiety or increased stress in their lives, relaxation techniques are key. They accelerate healing when we are in our diaphragmatic breath. It is then we actually can repair, digest and heal plus switch into fat metabolism, which is always good.
- If increased gut permeability is suspected, then a 3 month treatment can include:
- Turmeric (4 g per day) or Resveratrol (4 g per day) and
- L-Glutamine 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon per day and
- Colostrum 2-6 g per day and
- Zinc carnosine 75 mg twice daily
- Cod liver oil capsules daily (for vitamin A and D
If you want to try taking the supplements for gut healing, add one at a time and check your tolerance to them and/or check with a Medical herbalist or Naturopath if you want to.
If you are interested in chatting with Clarice, you can find her here: www.dietaryspecialists.co.nz
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Maple syrup
- Beat the eggs, bananas and vanilla essence together until well blended.
- Melt a little butter in a frying pan.
- Once it is bubbling, pour ½ the egg mixture into the pan.
- Once it is set on one side, flip it over and cook on the other side.
- Slip out onto a plate and keep warm.
- Cook the rest of the pancake mixture in the same way,
- Serve with a few raspberries and a little drizzle of maple syrup.