I had already decided on this Jamie’s 30-Minute Meals recipe and given Adriano the shopping list when I went online to see if there was a video of Jamie making this meal and found quite a turn up for the books. Jamie has been slammed for this recipe for the high fat levels in it. Double a Big Mac, if that’s possible. I’m not sure where it all is but it does have mince meat, cheese and bacon. The rest is all vegetables. So I cut out the cheese and reduced the bacon. The coleslaw with the purple cabbage was really good but I felt the sandwich was a bit dry though Adriano liked it just the way it was. I would still make a tomato sauce and add it for the moisture. This is the first Jamie meal that I didn’t completely enjoy. He also included a salad with salad leaves, tomatoes, avocados, basil and feta cheese – this was really good but then again I love most salads. I have put the original recipe below. Jamie says it serves 4 but we had only one ciabatta loaf and it was plenty.
Recipe: Meatball Sandwich & Pickled Cabbage
- Stick the oven on 160°C/320°F, and get a large frying pan on a medium heat.
- Roughly chop the basil and put into a bowl with the beef, mustard, zest of ½ lemon, 1 tbsp olive oil and the egg yolk. Season and mix.
- Add a splash of olive oil to the pan, then scrunch the meatball mixture together with your hands.
- Divide into 16 and roll into balls.
- Cook the meatballs for about 12 minutes, until browned all over.
- Slice the cabbage in a food processor, then add the red onion, chili and mint and chop all together.
- Tip into a large bowl with some olive oil, the lemon juice and seasoning. Toss together.
- Lay the bacon around the meatballs and pop into the oven, and on a different shelf put the loaves to warm through.
- After about 5 minutes get the bread out. Cut them open and drizzle with olive oil.
- Lay the cheese on. Scatter over some of the cabbage salad. Top with meatballs and the bacon.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4[/print_this]