This cake has been a eureka moment! It is moist, delicate and delicious. I have baked with many different vegetables as a base for sweet dishes including pumpkin, zucchini, white beans and avocado but I have never used potato. And yet it is such an obvious choice because it is a starch just like flour. I made absolutely sure I didn’t overcook it, and that lemon syrup took it over the top. This has to be my biggest low FODMAP triumph yet. I finished it off with a little icing made of icing sugar and lemon juice just to kick it up a notch.
This recipe has almond meal in it but I have kept it to a small amount because the Monash University, which researches the FODMAP diet, says we can only have less than 10 almonds at a time. I have already discovered this and so do limit them. I still find it amazing that everything that is considered healthy to eat can be suspect for us. It has been an interesting journey so far.
- 200gms/7oz softened butter
- 150gms/5.5oz caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 75gms/2.6oz almond meal
- 40gms/1.4oz white rice flour
- 25gms/1oz potato starch
- 10gms/0.35oz tapioca flour
- 250gms/8.8oz mashed potato
- zest of 3 lemons
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Butter and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time while still beating.
- Sift the flours and baking powder together and add to the wet ingredients.
- Add the mashed potato, zest and the almond meal.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool a little then tip out onto a wire rack.
- Mix the lemon juice and sugar for the syrup and slowly pour over the warm cake.
- Cool completely before slicing and eating.
One more thing before I sign off for the night. You all know by now that I have just published 7 novels on Amazon. Well, for today and the next two days I have made Crash into Darkness free for you all. This book is a romantic suspense with paranormal elements. It is book 1 of the Cleaven Gene series and it came second in the R*by Awards (Romantic Elements category) a few years back. Another of my books, Beneath the Surface, came first. You can get it free here.